The Budget & Investment Committee collaborates as a leadership team to:
- Understand and review the UCSF budget at the level of the enterprise
- Assess priorities and tradeoffs for funding allocations and strategic investments, including large-scale capital, information technology, and programmatic investments
- Ensure transparency of the budget process
- Report findings and recommendations to the Chancellor’s Cabinet on a regular basis
- Advise the Chancellor on budget and investment strategies
Topics outside the scope of this committee include internal budgets for schools, departments and the Medical Center; space allocations; and hiring and appointments.
The Budget & Investment Committee is a subcommittee of the Chancellor’s Cabinet and includes:
- Sam Hawgood, Chancellor
- Dan Lowenstein, Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost (co-chair)
- Paul Jenny, Senior Vice Chancellor, Finance and Administration (co-chair)
- Mark Laret, President and Chief Executive Officer, UCSF Health
- Michael Reddy, Dean, School of Dentistry
- Talmadge King, Jr., Dean, School of Medicine
- Catherine Gilliss, Dean, School of Nursing
- B. Joseph Guglielmo, Dean, School of Pharmacy
- Elizabeth Watkins, Vice Chancellor, Student Academic Affairs and Dean, Graduate Division
- Teresa Costantinidis, Vice Chancellor and Chief Financial Officer
- David Teitel, Chair, Academic Senate
- Michael Clune, Associate Vice Chancellor, Budget and Resource Management
Decisions shall be determined by committee members only, with no substitutions.
Working groups may be formed at the discretion of the co-chairs to address a specific issue and report back to the committee with information and/or recommendations. Members of the working group do not necessarily need to be committee members.